Shin-ichiro Tomie (Japanese: 冨江 慎一郎, Tomie Shin-ichiro), born 1961, is a Japanese game director, writer and part of Spike Chunsoft's affiliation. Since the 1990s, he contributes to the company with the Mystery Dungeon franchise as the main writer for the Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. He has also contributed in Tecmo's Tecmo Bowl series of sport games in the late 1980s.
His hobby is soccer, and the Captain Tsubasa series was his initial source of inspiration.
Tomie joined Tecmo, now known as Koei Tecmo, after graduating from university. During that time, he was engaged in soccer-themed games, such as Tecmo Bowl in 1987, and Captain Tsubasa II in 1990.
For Tecmo Super Bowl, though Japan had limited NFL coverage overall in the late 1980s, him and the game's programmer Akihiko Shimoji were recording as many games as they could, shown on NHK satellite TV, to reproduce it in-game. Tomie's passion on sports has also helped the team to work on Tecmo Super Bowl.
Later in 1992, he was transferred to Chunsoft and consistently worked on the scenario of the Shiren the Wanderer series since its first title in 1995. The reason of working as a writer comes from the company's Sound Novel series, as he was not inspired of Otogiriso, but thought it was an innovative game, in addition to the lack of writers in the company. His hobby for sport games is particularly noticeable in Shiren the Wanderer 2 and Shiren Monsters: Netsal, where he was in charge of both games as a director.
The scenarios present throughout the Mystery Dungeon series were written so they would not interfere too much into the franchise's roguelike genre. The scenario for the Shiren the Wanderer series is smaller but also intriguing for each titles as they are mixed with its difficulty. Initially, he has suggested to put the setting of the series in feudal Japan, compared to the previous Mystery Dungeon title, Torneko's Great Adventure: Mystery Dungeon.
In the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series, the scenario has more presence in the gameplay than the former series, and its appeal comes from "their directions and sounds" rather than the scenario alone. Furthermore, the series does not have a linear timeline between the mainline Pokémon franchise and this series so newcomers would be introduced easily into the series and the genre. In an interview held in 2022, Tomie claimed he was not aware of the western fanbase, but was able to receive messages from Japanese fans of the series via letters, with some of them claiming Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness, and its sister game Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, his "magnum opus".
In 2012, during the first Nico Nico Game Master event, him and Kaoru Hasegawa appeared in the finale of a real-time attack of the first Shiren the Wanderer game. Even if both series have not received a brand new title since 2010, and 2015 respectively, Tomie left a secret message in the 2020 port of Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate, indicating he would still be able to work on the next games if possible.
In the Mystery Dungeon franchise, he participated numerous time as a writer and director.
|1995||Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer||Planning / Screenplay|
|BS Shiren the Wanderer: Save Surala||Planning / Screenplay|
|1996||Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer GB - Monster of Moonlight Village||Planning / Scenario|
|2000||Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2 - Shiren's Castle and the Oni Invasion||Director / Screenplay / Scenario|
|2001||Shiren the Wanderer GB2: Magic Castle of the Desert||Scenario|
|2002||Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer Gaiden - Asuka the Swordswoman||Supervisor|
|2004||Shiren Monsters: Netsal||Director / Scenario|
|2005||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Team||Scenario|
|2007||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness||Scenario|
|2008||Shiren the Wanderer||Supervisor|
|2009||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky||Scenario|
|Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Adventure Squad||Scenario|
|2010||Shiren the Wanderer 4: The Eye of God and the Devil's Navel||Supervisor|
|Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate||Supervisor|
|2012||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity||Scenario|
|2015||Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon||Scenario|
|2020||Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX||Director / Scenario|
|Directors||Yoriki Daigo • Seiichiro Nagahata • Koichi Nakamura • Shin-ichiro Tomie|
|Producers||Seiichiro Nagahata • Koichi Nakamura • Hironobu Sakaguchi • Shin-ichiro Tomie|
|Designers||Yuji Horii • Kouji Maruta • Shin-ichiro Tomie|
|Programmers||Seiichiro Nagahata • Masayasu Yamamoto|
|Artists||Kaoru Hasegawa • Fuyuhiko Koizumi • Akira Toriyama|
|Writers||Masato Kato • Emiko Tanaka • Shin-ichiro Tomie|
|Composers||Arata Iiyoshi • Atsuhiro Ishizuna • Keisuke Ito • Kenji Ito • Yuzo Koshiro • Hayato Matsuo • Hideki Sakamoto • Koichi Sugiyama • Kumi Tanioka • Nobuo Uematsu|
|Others||Tsunekazu Ishihara • Nob Ogasawara|
-  Thanks to Seafoamgaming for the interview.
-  Wikipedia (JA)
-  Wikipedia (EN)
-  MobyGames
- 『街』への想いから昨今のインディーゲームまで――チュンソフト30周年のすべてを中村光一氏と振り返るロングインタビュー【後編】 (japanese) (June 9, 2016). Retrieved on July 16, 2022. "中村 これは、開発にサッカー好きのメンバーがいたんですよ。『シレン』のシナリオを担当している冨江（冨江慎一郎氏）がサッカー大好きで、以前テクモ（現コーエーテクモゲームス）に務めていたのですが、そのころに『キャプテン翼』を作っていた人物なんですね。サッカーを語らせると、うるさいんです（笑）。"
- Seafoamgaming (April 18, 2022). The Meeting of Destiny: An Interview with Shinichiro Tomie from SPIKE CHUNSOFT. Retrieved on April 20, 2022.
- Lou (February 26, 2016). The Fathers of Tecmo Super Bowl. Retrieved on July 16, 2022.
- Error on call to template:cite web: Parameters archiveurl and archivedate must be both specified or both omittedチュンソフト開発者インタビュー (ja). Nintendo. Archived from the original on August 5, 2015. Retrieved on July 16, 2022.
- Error on call to Template:cite web: Parameters url and title must be specified (ja). Retrieved on July 16, 2022.
- 『風来のシレン』の制作陣が語る！ 新世代ローグライクゲーム『世紀末デイズ』の魅力とは (japanese) (July 19, 2018). Retrieved on July 16, 2022. "長谷川いえ、最初はぜんぜん決まっていなくて、『トルネコの大冒険』に引き続き、西洋の世界観をイメージしていました。『風来のシレン』が和風になったのは、シナリオを担当していた冨江（慎一郎氏）というスタッフの提案がきっかけです。"
- Satoru Iwata. Iwata Asks : Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity : An Impossible Combination. Retrieved on July 16, 2022.
- Rédaction (July 9, 2008). Pokémon Donjon Mystère : interview Kunimi Kawamura & Shinichiro Tomie (fr). Retrieved on July 16, 2022. "Shinichiro Tomie : Il n'y a pas de références spécifiques ou d'indices cachés dans Donjon Mystère. Au contraire, le jeu a été conçu comme un titre indépendant afin qu'une personne qui n'aurait jamais touché à un jeu Pokémon précédemment puisse se lancer sans problème."
- 最速のシレンは誰だ！ 第1回"ニコニコゲームマスター"本戦の模様をリポート (ja) (November 18, 2012). Retrieved on July 16, 2022.
- 風来のシレン開発者 「皆さんの、ひとりひとりのファンの声が大きければ、新作が作れるかもしれない」 (ja) (December 7, 2020). Retrieved on April 20, 2022.