Meta:Mystery Dungeon references in other media
Mystery Dungeon references in other media, whether they are from video games developed or published by Spike Chunsoft as well as other game developers and companies, anime, manga, or books.
Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
In episodes 62 and 63 of the anime's 2020 TV series, "The Cave of Trials" and "The Sacred Inheritance", there are references to Mystery Dungeon's core gameplay. They are sourced from Dai Perfect Book, where Sanjo stated the inspiration came from Torneko's Great Adventure: Mystery Dungeon.
Pop Team Epic
A segment in the third episode of Pop Team Epic, Season 2, references Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon.
Video games developed by Spike Chunsoft
Kamaitachi no Yoru
In the Super Famicom release of Kamaitachi no Yoru, later localized as Banshee's Last Cry in its smartphone release, by going through a respective list of inputs, the player is able to see a secret message left by an employee about a "conspiracy theory" happening at Chunsoft. Torneko's Great Adventure: Mystery Dungeon is one of two games mentioned in this "conspiracy" along with Otogirisō. The message also returned in the PlayStation remake of the game, but also got an update in its second game, Kamaitachi no Yoru 2; it occurs only if the player earns the Golden Bookmark in his save file then replays Chapter 2.
428: Shibuya Scramble
Few references to the Shiren the Wanderer series can be found there.
- A Mamel plush can be seen in many cutscenes in the game, should the player takes Tama's path.
- In the game's anime sequel, Canaan, numerous people can be seen wearing hats of monsters from the Shiren the Wanderer series. This include a Mamel, a Pit Mamel and a Chintala.
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
An unlockable side game titled Despair Dungeon: Monokuma's Test (Japanese: 絶望のダンジョン モノクマの試練, Despair Dungeon: Monokuma's Trial) is based on a mix between Shiren the Wanderer series and Dragon Quest. The Japanese name of this game is also a reference to Shiren and Mystery Dungeon as a whole, as the Japanese word for trial is "Shiren".
Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp
Monsters from the Shiren the Wanderer series can be found, as shown during the game's reveal trailer on June 15, 2021 at E3 2021. Like in Despair Dungeon: Monokuma's Test, they are also modified to resemble the game's main antagonist, Monokuma.
Bonykuma, based on Skull Mage.
Fluffy Monobunny and Monokumantala, based on Fluffy Bunny and Chintala.
Monsters based on Mamel and Kigny.
AI: The Somnium Files – nirvanA Initiative
The game has many video game references all throughout. That also features references of IPs from its developer and publisher, Spike Chunsoft, including Mystery Dungeon.
- Shiren himself makes a cameo in the game as a Kusemon to be used in fights, inspired by the Pokémon series. When the egg is found, it hatches and the "[SC]Wanderer" card is added to the player's team.
- Shiren's sprite appearance and animation were sourced from Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate. He wields a Kaburasutegi+99 in this game, which is the last upgrade of the Kaburagi Family weapons that appeared in the aforementioned title.
- The character Tama, in her Somnium form, can be seen wearing Shiren's kasa occasionally.
- The Mamel Family is mentioned in various pieces of dialogue.
- When checking a computer in Kumakura Office on February 12, during the free move investigation segment.[aini 1]
- Another piece of dialogue also references Mamels in Sejima Residence on February 15, during the 4:10 PM investigation segment. In this instance, the name "Subterranean Mamul" is used instead of "Pit Mamel", which is a reference to the Shiren 1 SFC English unofficial translation.[aini 2]
- Aiba: (I hacked into it.)
- Aiba: (There is one item in the search history: "How to defeat Mamel.")
- Mizuki: (Oh, they play Shiren...)
- Mizuki: (Wait, how do you need help beating Mamel?)
- Tama: (It's a giant Subterranean Mamul!)
- Ryuki: (It's a topiary! Now's not the time to be messing around!)
- Tama: (S-Sorry...)
Video games developed by other companies
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
A category titled Chronicle represents a list of games published by Nintendo. Only the two first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games—Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Team and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness—were shown to the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS lists respectively in the Japanese version of the game.
- Because Explorers of Time and Darkness was yet to be released at the time of Brawl's western release, only Red & Blue Rescue Team were shown in the western version of the game.
Content from Dragon Quest: Young Yangus and the Mysterious Dungeon appears in the game, including Young Yangus as a playable character.
Shiren appears as a costume in the Wii U, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita releases, exclusively in Japan.
The cameo consists of:
- Shiren Set (Japanese: ふうらいにんの衣装):
- Shiren Hat (Japanese: さんどがさ)
- Shiren Shirt (Japanese: ふうらいにんのふく)
- Shiren Pants (Japanese: ふうらいにんのこしあて)
RPG Maker MV
On December 15, 2015, an expansion pack for the game was announced for the PC version. It features both Shiren the Wanderer and Asuka as custom protagonists as well as elements from the series. The pack was released two days after its announcement.
Shiren and Asuka's promo image.
Super Smash Bros. 4
Crypt of the NecroDancer
In an issue of Weekly Famitsu column on November 26, 2015, a free update for the game was announced then released in Japan on January 18, 2016, then later worldwide on August 22, 2017 on Steam and later released for PS4 and PS Vita on September 5, 2017. It features characters from the Danganronpa, Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble and Shiren the Wanderer series. Both Shiren the Wanderer and Asuka were made available as character skins. The update works even if you do not own any DLC.
Dragon Quest Rivals
The game features content throughout the entire Dragon Quest franchise; mainline and spin-offs, represented as cards, playable characters, or summons. Content from the Mystery Dungeon crossover can be found there.
- A few cards references content from the Mystery Dungeon franchise.
- The card "It's a Monster House!" is a reference to the recurrent Monster Houses in the franchise.
- Items like Big Bread or Flame Grass appear as support cards.
- Young Yangus appears in the game's sixth card pack, "Small Hope Symphony".
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The Chocobo headgear for the Mii Fighter has returned in this game for the version 10.1.0 update, along with Sephiroth. The design was updated from its latest appearance in the Chocobo sub-series being Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy!, the remake of Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon.
Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story
Announced on November 20, 2019 via 4gamer, a DLC pack for the game titled "Wanderer Set" (Japanese: 風来人セット) was announced for first-print copies. The DLC includes blueprints for both weapons. It was released with the game on February 20, 2020 and available for free from February 20 to 27, 2020.. Later in another announcement, the DLC was made available and purchasable on June 4, 2020.
The DLC consists of:
- Wanderer Set (Japanese: 風来人セット)
- Wanderer Outfit (Japanese: 風来人の衣装と刀を追加)
- Wanderer Hat (Japanese: 風来人の三度笠（装飾品）)
- Wanderer Cape (Japanese: 風来人の道中合羽（装飾品）)
- Wanderer Itachi (Japanese: 風来人のイタチ（装飾品）)
- Kabra's Blade (Japanese: マンジカブラ)
- Kabra Reborn (Japanese: カブラステギ)
Dragon Quest Rivals Ace
The game is an expansion of Dragon Quest Rivals, which inherits past events from there and expand furthermore its content.
- Tipper appears in the game's third card pack, "Starry Battle". He takes his appearance from the third Dragon Quest Mystery Dungeon game, Torneko's Great Adventure 3: Mystery Dungeon.
Announced during the Nintendo Direct of September 23, 2021, a new title to the Chocobo series was released in March 10, 2022. It features characters from the eponymous series, along with characters that first appeared in the Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon titles.
- In its initial release, Chocobo, Shirma, Dungeon Hero X, Chocobo's Dungeon 2's Cid, and the Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon appearance of Behemoth were available in-game.
- On September 29, 2022, for the fourth season, it was announced that Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon's Cid and Raffaello were made available via an update for October 6, 2022.
- On December 12, 2022, for the fifth season, it was announced that Croma and Volg were made available via an update for December 22, 2022.
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
Announced during the Nintendo Direct of September 13, 2022, the game will feature soundtracks from video games series developed or published by Square's part of Square Enix other than the Final Fantasy franchise. This includes soundtracks from the Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon titles. It was later confirmed that the Chocobo from Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon appears as a character in the game, along with 5 sourced tracks.
Dragon Quest Treasures
The game features content throughout the entire Dragon Quest franchise; mainline and spin-offs, represented as treasures. Content from the Mystery Dungeon crossover can be found there, such as Young Yangus appearing as a statue.
- Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2 - Shiren's Castle and the Oni Invasion is not listed in Chronicle in any version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, even though the game was published by Nintendo.
- Todd Blankenship on Twitter. Twitter (January 5, 2022). Retrieved on October 16, 2022.
- Danganronpa is coming to Nintendo Switch! | E3 2021. YouTube. Nintendo (June 15, 2021). Retrieved on June 16, 2021.
- Miranda Sanchez (June 15, 2021). Danganronpa Decadence Collection Announced for Switch - E3 2021. IGN. Retrieved on June 16, 2021.
- Shiren set. Terraria Wiki. Retrieved on October 24, 2020.
- PC「RPGツクール MV」購入者特典が公開！ドワンゴジェイピーストアでは「風来のシレン」のシレンとアスカの素材が付属 (ja). Gamer.ne (November 30, 2015). Retrieved on October 24, 2020.
- Huge FREE Chipzel and Danganronpa update!. Steam (September 5, 2017). Retrieved on October 24, 2020.
- Crypt of the NecroDancer on Twitter. Twitter (August 22, 2017). Retrieved on October 24, 2020. "The Chipzel and Danganronpa free update is now live for PS4 and Vita! Our apologies for the wait."
- ドラゴンクエストライバルズ エース公式 on Twitter (ja). Twitter (February 18, 2019). Retrieved on September 3, 2021.
- 「侍道外伝 KATANAKAMI」の発売日が2020年2月20日に決定。購入特典は「名刀5本セット」「風来人セット」のDLC2種 (ja). 4gamer (November 20, 2019). Retrieved on October 24, 2020.
- Alistair Wong (November 21, 2019). Way of the Samurai Spinoff Katanakami Gets February 20 Release Date And Shiren First-Print DLC. SiliconEra. Retrieved on October 24, 2020.
- Alex Flagg (February 13, 2020). Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story Hits PS4 February 20, Free DLC to Follow. PlayStation Blog. Retrieved on October 24, 2020.
- 【侍道外伝 KATANAKAMI公式】 on Twitter (ja). Twitter (June 4, 2020). Retrieved on October 24, 2020. "【お知らせ】有料DLC2種「名刀5本セット」&「風来人セット」を、本日より販売開始！実在する名刀や風来人の衣装・刀などを入手できます。あの風来人になりきって、ダンジョン制覇を目指そう！#侍道外伝#KATANAKAMI"
- ドラゴンクエストライバルズ エース公式 on Twitter (ja). Twitter (February 4, 2021). Retrieved on August 1, 2021.
- James ジェームズ on Twitter. Twitter (February 4, 2021). Retrieved on August 1, 2021.
- Chocobo GP | SQUARE ENIX. Square Enix. Retrieved on January 20, 2022.
- Ryan Gilliam (September 23, 2021). Nintendo Direct September 2021: The biggest announcements. Polygon. Retrieved on September 25, 2021.
- FINAL FANTASY on Twitter. Twitter (September 29, 2022). Retrieved on September 29, 2022.
- チョコボGP公式 on Twitter. Twitter (December 13, 2022). Retrieved on December 13, 2022.
- Stephanie Liu (September 24, 2022). Here is the Tracklist for Theatrhythm Final Bar Line. SiliconEra. Retrieved on September 24, 2022.
- FINAL FANTASY on Twitter. Twitter (February 8, 2023). Retrieved on February 16, 2023.